What is Bariatric Surgery?
Weight loss surgery methods are among the most widely applied surgical methods in recent years. The effects of weight loss surgery methods on health can be discussed. Being able to lose weight healthily is the most important point in this regard. there are non-surgical ways to lose weight healthily, but if the person cannot lose weight with non-surgical methods; For example, surgical operations are inevitable for the health of the person in cases where he cannot lose weight with the help of a dietitian and regular exercise. We have compiled the types of Bariatric Surgery for you. We wish you healthy reading.
Stomach Botox is one of the bariatric surgery operations that do not require surgery but help to lose weight. Stomach botox application is a botox method applied to some parts of the patient’s stomach by the endoscopic method. Botox gel injected into the stomach supports the patient to feel full for a long time and thus, the patient enters the weight loss process. The effect of stomach botox is up to 6 months. Processing time is about 15-20 minutes.
How Is Stomach Botox Applied?
Since stomach botox is not a surgical procedure, the patient is not anesthetized, but there are certain construction steps. The application steps of stomach botox are as follows;
• Since it is applied with the endoscopy method, the stomach is reached with the help of a hose from the mouth.
• Botox is injected into the necessary parts of the stomach.
• This process takes about 15-20 minutes.
• With this process, contraction of the stomach muscles is prevented and thus the secretion of hunger hormone is prevented.
What Should Be Considered After Stomach Botox?
After stomach botox, the patient can continue his social life from where he left off, but there are some points to be considered, as every medical procedure after stomach botox. These points are as follows;
• Attention should be paid to eating habits.
• Foods that we define as packaged or fast food should be avoided.
• Excessive fatty foods and carbohydrates should not be consumed.
• Acidic drinks should not be consumed.
• Consumption of products such as alcohol should also be avoided.
• A variety of nutrition should be given and physical exercises should be done in addition to nutrition.
• The weight loss target is set at a rate of 10-15%, this method may vary according to age, gender, and compliance with the diet.
• Attention should be paid to fluid consumption for a certain period.
Gastric Balloon is a silo balloon placed in the stomach and inflated with air or liquid in the stomach. It is a method used by physicians in the treatment of bariatric surgery applied to the stomach with general anesthesia and endoscopy. After the gastric balloon is placed in the stomach, it is inflated to a certain size with the help of serum. This process takes about 20-30 minutes on average. After the application, the patient can be discharged on the same day after being kept under observation for a while. A feature of the gastric balloon is that it stays in the bidet for 6 to 12 months in the stomach.
Who is the Gastric Balloon Applied to?
Gastric balloon operation is a method that supports temporary weight loss. However, there are some criteria for this operation to be applied. These criteria are as follows;
• If there is no stomach ulcer, large gastric hernia, and pregnancy condition,
• If the body mass index (body fat ratio) is in the 25-50 slightly overweight or 30-45 obesity band,
• Being suitable for surgical applications,
• Not losing weight with diet and exercise
• Being between the ages of 18-65
• Absence of addictions such as alcohol and drugs,
• If there is no intestinal disease, gastric balloon application can be performed.
How is the Gastric Balloon Applied?
The gastric balloon is a temporary Bariatric Surgery operation. Gastric balloon application is performed as follows;
• The first rule to be followed is that the patient should be fasting for 12 hours.
• Anesthesia is given to the patient and the patient is put into a light sleep.
• A silo balloon is placed on the patient with the endoscopy method.
• The balloon placed in the stomach is inflated with liquid or air with the help of a catheter.
• The inflated balloon covers a certain part of the stomach and supports weight loss by helping the patient stay full for longer.
Gastric sleeve surgery is the removal of 80% of the stomach by laparoscopy, that is, closed surgery, and the creation of a new stomach in the form of a tube resembling a banana. Although the size of the stomach differs from gender to gender and age to age, the rate of gastric reduction is the same. The 1-1.5-liter capacity of the stomach is reduced to 100-150 milliliters. With this surgery, it is not possible to restore the old stomach form or later, such as a gastric balloon operation.
What Should Be Considered After Gastric Sleeve Surgery?
• Solid foods and liquid foods should not be consumed at the same time after sleeve gastrectomy surgery. Liquid foods should be consumed either 30 minutes before or 30 minutes after.
• It is necessary to take enough fluids during the day.
• If you do not drink enough fluids, you may feel weak due to dehydration. Don’t wait to be thirsty to drink water and always drink little and often.
• You should stay away from all carbonated, caffeinated, and alcoholic beverages.
• It will be easier to lose weight if you set a daily walking or regular exercise plan.
• Your eating time should be between 20 and 30 minutes. When you eat food quickly, it can cause stomach pain or vomiting due to poor chewing.
• You can consult a bariatric dietitian for a diet list suitable for you.
Mini Gastric Bypass
One of the bariatric surgery operations is mini gastric bypass surgery. This method is the simplest and fastest Bariatric Surgery used in the treatment of obesity. It is a type of weight loss surgery that is low in cost and the patient can be discharged as soon as possible. The purpose of this treatment method is to reduce the volume of the stomach and to reduce some of the food absorptions in the small intestines, which is a type of Bariatric Surgery that helps to lose weight. It is a type of closed surgery.
How is Mini Gastric Bypass Applied?
Since Mini Gastric Bypass bariatric surgery is one of the closed surgical methods, Mini Gastric Bypass surgery is performed as follows;
• Approximately 5 incisions smaller than 1 cm are created on the abdomen without making small incisions.
• Through the opened incisions, the abdomen is entered with special medical instruments.
• A tube is created at the entrance of the stomach to act as a stomach.
• Intestinal connection is made with the formed tube.
• The process is completed with internal sutures and sutures applied to close the incisions.
In this case, a large part of the stomach remains in the abdomen.